Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Other To-Do List

I'm not here to get into the argument about e-books and e-book publishing. What I'm here to say is that I love my Kindle.

Love it, love it, love it.

I'm one of those whacked out ladies you'll see in the dentist's office with a book in one hand and another one tucked between my side and the uncomfortable arm of the waiting room chair. This is because - yes - I will finish a 400 page book in a little more than three hours. (For example: I started Ghost Story, a 500 page book, at around 9am and was done with it slightly after 2:30. And it only took that long because I had to take my daughter to an Ear, Nose and Throat appointment, AND I got lost in downtown Norfolk. I hate Norfolk.) And if I'm less than 100 pages from the end of a book, it's a good idea for me to have the sequel right there with me. It keeps me from biting the dentist in a fit of word-boredom.

And I don't like carrying a purse. Which is odd, since I own like six of the damn things. Half of them aren't large enough to carry a book around with me anyway. So I'm usually juggling a stack of books.

Enter the kindle.


60 books at the touch of my finger.

Holy crap. Really? This is the best invention since mp3s. You mean I can store all my songs, all twenty THOUSAND of them on a box no bigger than a dinner plate? Sign me right the fuck up!

I mean, look at my bookshelf! I don't know if you can see it well, but those are stacked two deep and piled in every possible space. I have five bookshelves worth of books just like that. (I know, a lot of people have more... but honestly, I have to dust those bad boys, so these are just the books that I truly believe I'll read again. Mostly.)

Now I can carry that around with me? Wow!

That being said, it's also opened a different problem.

I don't have to dust the books on my kindle shelf.

Which means I'm buying more books. I buy them randomly from recommendations from friends, I buy books that look interesting in the side columns of other writers' blogs. I buy books that my facebook friends are shilling. I buy books from writers whose work I hang upon, and I buy books when they're on sale for 99cents.

Soooo.....

Aside from the fact that I had to put myself on a book-buying budget again (believe you me, not having to dust and store the fuckers has led me to buy more books than I have touched in a bookstore in quite some time...) I now have a "stack" in my "to be read" pile.

In no particular order, this is what I have yet to read:

Ghost Story, Jim Butcher (bought, started and finished yesterday)
Line in the Ice, Craig (finished today)
No Regret, Shannon K. Butcher
Soulless, Gail Carriger
Lord of Scoundrels, Loretta Chase
The Sweetest Kiss, D.I. King. (actually, I've read about half of these, just haven't quite polished it off yet... an anthology)
Well Favored Gentleman, Christina Dodd
Season of the Harvest, Michael R. Hicks
Anathema, Megg Jenson
The Iron King, Julie Kagawa
Dangerous Curves, Kristina Wright

Books already pre-ordered on my Kindle
Blood Hunt, Shannon K. Butcher
Heart of Steel, Meljean Brook
Storm's Heart, Thea Harrison
Son of Neptune, Rick Riordan



No comments:

Post a Comment